Thursday, September 30, 2010

Avera Clarke House

The Avera-Clarke House was built in 1890 by Thomas Clarke. He was a prominent judge and bank founder in Monticello. He lived in the house with his wife and four children until his unexpected death in 1900. His wake was held in the parlor of the house. The house remained in the family until Gretchen and Troy Avera bought the house and converted it into a bed and breakfast in 2003.

While Gretchen and Troy don't advertise the house to having paranormal occurrences, I got a chance to spend a couple nights in the house and experience things first hand. The fireplace in the dining room has had reports of spiritual energy and orbs caught on camera. Another time Thomas Clarke's son recalled his dad being displayed in front of the fireplace for his wake.

Upon further investigation, I captured a few orbs on the staircase leading up to the second floor and another orb on the grounds leading up to the separate cottage on the property. The Cottage, reputed to be the oldest structure in Jefferson County (Ca.1821) was moved to the Avera's property in 2006. A guest has reported seeing an apparition of a woman on the porch.

My experience of the Avera Clarke house was peaceful and eclectic. I almost didn't want to leave the comfort of the small town of Monticello. But, I had to investigate the cemetery and the forces of the "harvest moon" on my last night in Monticello. I decided to walk to the cemetery to find the Clarke's graves. While I captured some amazing orbs and spiritual activity, what I found there would help me prepare myself for my remaining spiritual journey's ahead.

That night when I returned to the Avera Clarke house, I was awoken at 3 am to an unknown presence. I felt a touch to my arm, but didn't think much of it at the time. The next day Gretchen said that her dogs also got up at 3 am unexpectedly.

I had the hardest time getting out of town with my car. My car broke down outside of town, and I immediately started to feel sick. When I arrived home for 6 days my mind was racing with thoughts and I couldn't eat or sleep. When talking to a psychic and medium friend of mine, she told me that a woman spirit from Monticello had attached herself to me and followed me home.

Needless to say, I followed my friends directions of clearing my house and myself, and I have felt better since. This was a lesson to be learned. What happens in a haunted house or grave yard should stay there. And while these spirits are trapped on our earth plane for a reason, it is up to them to move on. I wish I could help these spirits..I guess in a way I am, by having their stories told.

For more information on the Avera Clarke House:

No comments:

Post a Comment